Deer Trail: South Africa Intensive Tracking & Trailing (in partnership with Western Tracking Institute)
When: August 10-20, 2012
Who: Open to ages 18+ (Limited to first 10 qualified participants) Prior tracking and trailing skills a must.
(Only 3 spaces remain open) as of 4/12
Price: $3890 per person - not including your own airfare to Eastgate Airport, Hoedspruit via Johannesburg, South Africa
Why? Here is your opportunity to travel back in time to live the bush skills and experience Africa as it always was- Wild, Remote and Untamed!!
Rough Itinerary: (Subject to change: once in camp)Day 1: Meet at Eastgate Airport (8/10/12), 1pm for our shuttle ride to Basecamp.
Day 2- 5: Bush walk tour- awareness skills: Tracking & Trailing South Africa Style - experience the inner connection to all things while living it yourself. The area we will be using is in the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve. This reserve is in the Greater Kruger National Park with no man-made barrier between the Scout School's area of operation and the National Park itself. The animals have free roaming access across the Park boundary. It is also in the middle of the territory of the Machaton pride in which the now famous White Lions of the Timbavati were born in the mid-70's. We should have no shortage of lion and rhino trails to follow. This prime wilderness area boasts the ‘Big Five’ most dangerous animals in Africa, a large diversity of antelope species, the entire range of smaller predators and over 500 bird species as well as a tremendous diversity of reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates. The landscape is typical of the undulating granitic Lowveld basin with large broad-leafed trees dominating the uplands, followed by Acacia woodlands, which give way to the large trees that form the riverine vegetation in the valley bottoms. Highly productive and open sodic areas dominate along the sandy riverbeds.
Day 6-9: Trailing Evaluations-
- experience all the Big Game animals up close and personal along with scenery that will burn a lasting impression upon your memory. The area we will be using is in theTimbavati Private Nature Reserve, located adjacent to Kruger National Park. Kruger Park was established in 1898 to protect the wildlife of the South African Lowveld, this national park of nearly 2 million hectares, SANParks - Kruger National Park is unrivaled in the diversity of its life forms and a world leader in advanced environmental management techniques and policies. This park has the most diverse game viewing experience in Africa with 336 trees, 49 fish, 34 amphibians, 114 reptiles, 507 birds and 147 mammals.
Day 10: Depart for Eastgate Airport to fly to Johannesburg. We will return to Eastgate Airport by noon on August 20th the last day of this program. (flights arrangements are up to each individual to arrange and are not included in the price of this class)
To reserve your spot & to register and apply: fill out this form and return with your deposit of $900 . A phone consultation will be arranged to discuss your application. All logistical follow-up information will be provided upon acceptance by April 25th. Because of the incredible price of this journey, the trip is first come first reserved only.
Adriaan Louw:Join Senior Tracker and in field expert, Adriaan Louw, to provide an in-depth animal tracking course in the African bush. It is all about understanding and learning to interpret so much more about the bush and wildlife as you track and locate big game. The bush is the lecture room; the days tracks and sign, trails, and animals are what we work with. We alter between track and sign interpretation and intensive African trailing sessions. See Africa from a side few get to experience any longer- pure tracking within the "original" continent.
Fact Sheet - Adriaan's Scout School operating from Bateleur Bush Camp (BBC)
The Scout School operates out of the Bateleur Bush Camp (BBC) which is a rustic, mobile fly camp in the heart of the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve.
The vision of The Scout School is to create a platform for the development, mentoring, and networking of both beginners and leading individuals in the fields of guiding, tracking, survival and bush craft. Knowledge and skills can be shared and disseminated to the benefit of all.
BBC is situated in the heart of the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve.
· Winter and dry season: May to September – days are a lot cooler with low humidity and mainly sunny, around 22 to 28 degrees C, with cool nights and mornings (temperatures can drop to about 5 degrees C, sometimes a little lower); the odd cold front may blow over bringing cool, windy and overcast conditions with soft rain
Gear List - recommended
· Clothing (warm clothing for months May to September)
· Rain jacket
· Hat or cap
· Toiletries – nature friendly (include sun cream and insect repellent)
· Comfortable walking shoes and gaiters
· Flip flops
· Basic first aid kit
· Notebook and pen
· Cameras and video camera (there are no charging facilities)
· Sleeping bag
· Torch or headlamp with fresh batteries
· Daypack / Rucksack
· 2 x 1l Water bottles
· Cash for gate fees, incidentals, soft drinks and staff gratuities
Recommended Reading List: "Tracks and Signs of Southern & East Africa Wildlife" by Chris& Tilde Stuart
"A photographic Guide of Tracks & Tracking in SA" by Louis Liebenbuerg